Sunday, December 15, 2013

December 15, 2013 Email #8





December 15, 2013
Cabarroguis, Diffun, Cagayan Valley, Philippines

Fun times here in the Philippines! We're teaching on average about 6 times a day, and Elder Manabo says that this is the most productive time on his mission he's had thus far, and he's been here 8 months! So it's been really fun. Now it's just a matter of not getting burnt out. Teaching is absolute fun. When we're teaching, and the Spirit is on our side, it is just pure joy.  

I've had balut twice now! It is so good! Oh, and it is not what we all think it is. They don't bury it underground at all. All it is is a hard boiled egg that just happened to include a duck fetus in it. Super masarap(delicious). The rice cakes here are really really good. And they do have a MacDo in Santiago City, so we eat there on p-day. They have big macs and stuff, but they also have rice and chicken stuff. Pretty funny.  

Sometimes I catch myself thinking of home, and thinking about talking to people at home after I'm home, and Slick, and many songs have come to my head while I'm here, and I've come up with many songs... But I remember the words of Peter when he responded to Jesus: "To whom shall I go? Thou hast the words of eternal life." It's great to be in this work, and when I'm fully focused in it, there is nothing on this earth I'd trade it for. 

I've felt the spirit of the Book of Mormon especially this week. It is true. It is a record intended for our day; that we may read and gain from it. More than once this week I have welled up with tears and choked up when testifying to people that I love the Book of Mormon, and that I know it will bless their lives. Read it! It is unlimited in its teachings, through the power of the spirit!

So, this week I have a few stories about how awesome the Spirit is, and how if we use it, we can do all sorts of really good things!

Tuesday last week, I felt an impression that morning to bring an Ilocano Book of Mormon with me. We didn't have any Ilocano investigators, and rarely ran into people who only spoke Ilocano, but I brought it anyway. Later that day, we came upon an old man splitting wood with a machete, and he had a piece of wood with a huge knot at the bottom. So, it was really difficult to split. I offered to help him. So for the next five minutes I wacked this piece of wood as hard as I could against a rock with the machete, trying to split it. I eventually took the machete out of the wood and ripped the log in half with my bear hands, which was pretty fun. He was pretty amused with the whole ordeal; this random white kid helping him split wood. Afterwards, he started speaking Ilocano. So I pulled out the "Ti Libro ni Mormon" and gave it to him. He looked at it with surprise, like he could hardly believe we printed such a book in Ilocano. He thanked us graciously and we took a picture.

I wrote an enormous story here, but then I deleted the whole thing accidentally, and I'm going to take it as a sign that I was not suppose to tell you it. Because there are a few good reasons as to why I shouldn't disclose this story. So yeah. I guess I'll wait. I will testify that this is the true church, and that a prophet of God receives revelation today for us, to guide us at this time. I've been reading the conference talks again, they are so full of amazing counsel! Read up! I know the Book of Mormon is true, and that it is a powerful testament of Jesus Christ, and that it is powerful evidence that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that Jesus Christ established this Church for these latter-days through the prophet Joseph Smith. I testify that this church holds true priesthood power, and true priesthood authority. 

I feel very inadequate sometimes, and I suffer with feelings of being forgotten by all those I've left behind. Like I will slowly fade out of existence there. But I can't let these feeling eat me, for they do not matter. I am a Filipino now. It will be a very very long time before I'm American again, and I just have to accept that. I appreciate all of your letters, one and all!

-Elder Kocherhans

No comments:

Post a Comment